Before you begin applying for jobs in the United States, you should prepare an American style résumé. American résumés follow a specific format different to other countries.
In this article we are going to give you some tips and advice on how you should design your résumé in order to get your dream job in the United States.
- Limit the length of your resume to one page, single-sided.
- Do not include personal information such as age, gender, height, weight, marital status, photos, etc. It is illegal for U.S. employers to make employment decisions based on certain attributes or preferences of applicants.
- Order your education and work experience chronologically with the most recent at the top and always present your educational and professional experience in a way that matches the requirements and duties of the position.
- Educational experience should include the name of all post-secondary institutions attended, the degree or diploma obtained and the length of the studies. Highlight any awards that you received. You may also briefly mention specific courses or projects that you completed if they are relevant to the requirements of the jobs for which you are applying.
- For your work experience, list the company or organization name and location on the first line. On the second line, list your title and department (if applicable).
Good luck with the process and do not hesitate to contact us if you want to receive a template. This will make your life easier!